As a mother of twin teenage boys who happen to looove junk food, I always come up with ideas about how to incorporate yummy veggies and healthy food into their diet.
As a Greek mom and a huge fan of the Mediterranean diet, I use the famous Greek tzatziki sauce as a perfect dip for alluring my kids into eating healthy.
Tzatziki practically goes with everything: grilled meat and chicken, veggies, fries and of course pita bread, but truly all kind of grain snacks.
Not to mention that it’s a perfect substitute for processed sauces such as mayo and ketchup. Greek yogurt is creamy and refreshing, full of calcium, protein and probiotics; great for your gut health. Combined with the health benefits of garlic, tzatziki packs nutrition and flavor in a versatile and yummy combo.
Some supermarkets sell readymade tzatziki, but trust me: it's so easy to make it at home! Plus, it will be fresh, without additives and tailor made to your taste, lighter on garlic, with less or more cucumber, anyway you like it. Store-bought tzatziki may contain fillers (like mayo) and inferior quality yogurt. Try to find good quality Greek yogurt, the thick strained kind. I recommend the whole milk version, although the 2% will do just fine, too.
- 35 oz Greek yogurt (5% or 2% work best)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves (more or less, to taste)
- 3-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs red vinegar
- Mint or dill sprigs (for garnish)
1. Peel and grate the cucumber and then leave it in a colander to strain. Give it a few good presses with your hands or a big spoon to really drain it, so you don't end up with watery tzatziki.
2. Mince the garlic (as much as you can handle!), or alternatively crush it in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt.
3. Combine the yogurt, cucumber and garlic in a bowl. Add the oil, vinegar and spices and mix well.
4. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours at least, to let the flavors develop. Serve chilled with a few mint leaves or dill sprigs for garnish and aroma. A couple of olives and a drizzle of EVOO also add a great touch.
Good luck and trust me, it goes with everything!