There are dozens of halva varieties among Mediterranean cultures, and halva made with tahini is one of the most iconic confections in traditional grocery stores in Greece and the Levant. Athanassios Matis was likely the first to produce tahini based halva in mainland Greece, when he brought his craft to Trikala from his home of Aivali, in Asia Minor in 1898. Matis Halva with Almonds has a soft, fudge-like texture and rich, toasted-sesame flavor, laced with whole almonds and the nutritional value of tahini.
- Handmade and prepared according to the Matis family recipe since 1898
- Palm-oil free
- Vegan and gluten free
- Contains sesame seeds and almonds. May contain traces of other tree nuts and peanuts. Made in a facility that handles dairy.
- Ingredients: tahini (ground sesame seeds) 54%, glucose - fructose syrup, almonds 6%, shea tree oil, emulsifier, saponariae root extract (foaming agent), vanillin
- Nutrition facts per 1.7oz serving: 273 cals, total fat 18.5g (of which 4.7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0g cholesterol), total carbs 21.4g (of which 14.4g added sugar), protein 7.6g, sodium 3mg.
- Store in a cool, dry place
- 14.1oz plastic container